- Define digital imaging terms
- Examine effects of the mid-tone slider
- List GIMP filters
- Compare lasso and mask tools
- Construct a GIMP tutorial
- Demonstrate GIMP tools
- Explore GIMP tools
- Rate images
To Do List
- Complete reading
- Watch lecture video
- Practice image editing
- Complete exploration project
- Post exploration banner in class social site
- Rate other students images
- Take chapter 3 quiz
- Chapter 3
None for this unit
Image editing practice (This part is not for a grade, see Exploration 1 below)
Use image editing tools to modify your image.
- Open a picture that you have taken.
- View the Levels (histogram) of your picture under the Color menu item
- Move the mid-tone level to the left. What happens to your picture?
- Use the Lasso tool and select an area of your picture
- Click Invert under the Select menu item to reverse the selection and press the delete key. This will delete everything but your initial selection. Could a mask layer do this too?
- Select None under the Select menu item to deselect your image.
- Use the Rectangle select tool and draw a box around your image.
- Choose Crop to Selection under the Image menu item.
- Change the opacity of the layer to around 50%. Why would you want to change the opacity?
- Use the Oilify filter located under the Filter menu item in the Artistic group. Experiment with other filters too.
- Add any cool effects to your picture and post it to our class social site with the tag “sp14dm3a”.
Exploration project 1
Web banner tutorial
Create a tutorial using Word, or other word processor, on how to create a web banner in GIMP using JING image captures.
Capture the images in Jing, use Jing labeling tools (arrows, boxes, text) and paste into a document.
You must have at least
- 5 Jing image captures with labels. (2 points each)
- Complete instructions on how to complete the project. (20 points)
- Use at least one picture (or clipart) (5 points) along with text for your banner. (5 points)
- Set the image size to 800 pixels wide and 200 pixels high. (5 points)
- Use the text tool to add copyright information to your image. (5 points)
- Save the image as a PNG file. (5 points)
- Use at least 5 GIMP tools (filters, color adjustments, levels, etc…). (10 points)
- A screen shot of the finished image (this is in addition to the 5 image captures above). (5 points)
- Document and use one feature not covered in class. (5 points)
- Post your banner image (PNG file) to our class social site (5 points) with a description (5 points) and a tag “sp14dm3b”. You can browse with this tag to rate images. You can add other tags if you like. (5 points)
- Have others rate your banner. You will need at least 10 ratings to get these points. (2 points for each star)
- Submit your tutorial document in the assignments area.
Login to Blackboard and take chapter quiz 3.